Thursday 31 January 2013

First fight excitement

  There's a big amateur tournament here in Ontario this weekend, Brampton Cup. It's mostly a Novice tournament and many boxers in Ontario have their first fights there. I had my 2nd fight there two years ago and two of my teammates made their debuts on the same weekend. This year Gideon Boxing has officially entered it's own boxers for the first time ever and we have 5 guys scheduled to fight, including 2 having their first bouts. When driving one of the young guys making their debuts home last night, he was asking questions and describing how he was feeling in the last few days leading up to the tournament, it's gotten me reminiscing about my own first fight.

  I remember the training leading up to the fight better than the actual fight. Horace had confirmed a bout for me 3 weeks in advance and my already-serious training got kicked up a notch. I remember morning hill runs had an extra intensity, sparring was more focused, getting instruction from my coach while doing pads was the highlight of every day. Every moment of training my head was a jumble of thoughts. Was I good enough? Would I be ready for the pressure of an audience watching me? Could I handle the pressure of another human being trying their best to knock me out? The night before the fight I went to watch the first installment of Harry Potter 7 and ended up talking to Horace on the phone for half the movie (outside in the hall, don't worry) about everything I was feeling and having him calm me down and focus on how much I COULD do, how much I HAVE done, not about the what-ifs.

  My first fight involved everything an amateur show is known for: a 6-hour drive to Sudbury, poorly communicated details like weight of the two boxers forcing me to drop 3 pounds the day of the fight, sitting around waiting for the late doctor - all things that greatly stressed a detail-oriented person like myself. It only took me a fight or two to realize this was actually the "norm", I'd better get used to it if I planned on sticking around this sport.

  Going through a proper warm-up for the first time was a clarifying moment. It was just Horace and me in a small closet, he put my wraps and gloves on for me, and held the pads for me to hit. Sharp, quick, no power, simply going through the motions and reminding my body and my head all the things I had learned over the past couple of months. I had no idea what the other girl across the ring would be coming with, but I knew what I could do, and that's what mattered. Every eye watched me as we walked towards the ring, and as the  MC announced my opponent and then myself, I realized she was from the area, I was the "big-city" girl who they automatically wanted to lose. It didn't matter, I was already determined to make the decision indisputable. From the very first bell I put everything I had into every punch (mistake!). I walked back after the first round thinking I had never been more tired in my entire life, how was I supposed to do two more rounds of this?! Horace gave me calming advice ("deep breathe", "relax") and had me focus on important details and block out everything else. The second round I was more calm, I remember giving her a bloody nose, a standing-eight count (the ref steps in to give one boxer a momentary break when they get hurt or seem overwhelmed), the third round started with my opponent being checked by the doctor to make sure she could continue boxing. When the final bell rang I ran over to Horace and he gave me a giant hug over the ropes. I knew I had won but that wasn't important. I had accomplished something I never thought possible, in fact had distinctly said I would never do - I stood in a ring and went toe-to-toe with another trained boxer and held my own, a feat the majority of people would never accomplish.

  After receiving my medal and exchanging hugs and handshakes with the opposing corner, I remember walking back to Horace with a huge smile on my face and saying "I want to do this again - immediately". His response "let's take your headgear off from this fight first". I was hooked. I'm pretty sure we discussed every detail of my fight on the 6-hour return drive (with a quick stop at the celebratory McDonalds) despite the fight pretty much being a blur in my head. If you asked me what punches I threw, how my movement was, if my defense was all I hoped, I couldn't tell you. What I remember most from that night was the raw emotion and excitement that drove me forward, the adrenaline pumping through me after, the pride I had from strangers congratulating me and telling me what a great fight it was. These same emotions still go through me before and after every fight. I focus on them when I'm in a moment of doubt or low-confidence. Win or lose, I have the courage to do something most people don't, I love that feeling and the drive it gives me life. Boxing isn't for everyone, fighting definitely isn't for most, but I truly believe everyone can find that one thing in life that gives them these same emotions. At least I hope so, because it's the greatest feeling in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! All that exhilaration and mess = boxing, for real. So glad you went back and captured that in a post. What an important moment in a fighter's life that is, huh?

    ReplyDelete